Rogan and Paci Re-Elected to Lead Huntington BOE
Huntington School Board members unanimously re-elected trustees Emily Rogan and John P. Paci III to serve as the body's president and vice-president, respectively, during the group's reorganization meeting on July 5 in the Jack Abrams School auditorium
New trustees Tom DiGiacomo and Xavier Palacios were sworn into office by District Clerk Elizabeth Troffa at the beginning of the meeting. The pair was elected this past May to serve three year terms running through June 30, 2012. They replace retiring trustees Elizabeth Black and Kimberly Brown, both of whom declined to seek re-election.
Mrs. Rogan, Mrs. Paci and Superintendent James W. Polansky were each administered the oath of office, as required by state law.
Trustees took the following actions during the reorganization meeting:
• Appointed Elizabeth Troffa to serve as district clerk during 2012/13.
• Appointed Jill Miranda to serve as district treasurer during 2012/13.
• Appointed Guercio & Guercio, LLP as the district's general counsel for 2012/13 with a retainer of $41,000 and a litigation rate of $240 per hour.
• Appointed Guercio & Guercio, LLP as the district's labor counsel for 2012/13 with a retainer of $80,000 and an hourly litigation rate of $240 per hour for litigation services other than those related to the collective bargaining agreement.
• Appointed Sheehan & Co., LLP as the district's internal auditor for 2012/13 at a maximum fee of $35,000.
• Appointed Corporate Medical Consultants, PC – John Colletta, MD to provide district physician services in 2012/13 with a retainer of $53,750.
• Appointed members of the Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE), Committee on Special Education and sub-committees of the CSE for 2012/13.
• Approved a list of impartial hearing officers related to special education services.
• Designated Assistant Superintendent Dr. Kenneth Card as American with Disabilities Act-Section 504 compliance officer for 2012/13.
• Designated Assistant Superintendent Dr. Joseph Giani as Title IX compliance officer for 2012/13.
• Appointed Christopher Hender (Woodhull School), Joanne Guerreri (J. Taylor Finley Middle School) and Eileen DeAngelis (Huntington High School) as central treasurers for 2012/13.
• Appointed Diane Judd as deputy district clerk with a stipend of $250.
• Appointed Margaret Creighton as deputy district treasurer with a stipend of $250.
• Designated Roberta Roth as the district's purchasing agent and Sam Gergis as the deputy purchasing agent.
• Appointed Elizabeth Troffa as records access officer and records management officer for 2012/13.
• Appointed school district election personnel, including Concetta Cagnino and Margaret Creighton as members of the board of registration and Catherine Bender as chief inspector.
• Appointed election clerks and inspectors, including Catherine Bender, Christine Bene, Mary Lou Brown, Emmagene Brown, Concetta Cagnino, Rita Carino, Margaret Creighton, Edie DeGennaro, Madeline Emmons, Joan Esposito, Margaret Florio, Gordon Goldsmith, Regina Kelly, Janet Lentini, Frances Lewandowski, Mildred Lombardo, Dorothy McElduff, Jill Miranda, Judith Murphy, Rosemarie O'Rourke, Gladys Palacios, MaryAnn Sarsfield, Betty Jo White and Regina Zorn.
• Appointed Assistant Superintendent Dr. Joseph Giani as residency hearing officer for 2012/13.
• Appointed Marybeth Robinette as the district's chief information officer and Nancy Allard as back-up chief information officer for State Education Department reporting purposes during 2012/13.
• Authorized Eastern Suffolk BOCES to provide health and safety consultant services during 2012/13.
• Designated the district's seven building principals as Dignity Act coordinators and appointed related support personnel.
• Approved the securing of excess bonding in the amount of $1 million for the district treasurer, deputy treasurer and assistant superintendent for business, $500,000 for the three central treasurers and $200,000 for the district clerk.
• Designated the Huntington News, The Long-Islander, Times Beacon Record Newspapers and Newsday as official newspapers authorized to receive district legal notices in 2012/13.
• Approved Bank of America, J.P. Morgan Chase, First National Bank of Long Island, State Bank, Citibank and Capital One to be used as school district depositories for various funds.
• Readopted the district's code of conduct.
• Designated the superintendent and assistant superintendent for finance and management services as those responsible for certifying all payrolls for the 2012/13 school year.
• Approved petty cash accounts for building level administrators and department directors. In all, 17 such accounts were authorized amounting to $1,600 in total.
• Authorized 89 organizations to use district facilities pending their applications and adherence with district residency requirements.
• Approved a list of employees authorized to receive mileage reimbursement for district related travel.
• Approved the district's continued participation in the national school lunch and breakfast program.
• Authorized the superintendent to apply for and sign all grant applications and reports for both state and federal grants.
• Authorized the Huntington School Board president and district clerk to execute and sign contracts for health services.
• Authorized the Huntington School Board president and district clerk to enter into tuition contracts with individuals and school districts.
• Reaffirmed the district's purchasing and investment policies.
• Readopted all district policies, including the code of conduct for 2012/13.
• Established school breakfast, lunch and milk prices for the 2012/13 school year.
• Adopted a list of religious holidays for 2012/13 related to student attendance reporting.