Huntington School Board Notes
Huntington School Board members have approved requests to retirement for Flower Hill School teacher aide Ann Jedzrowski and custodians Kenneth Boyles and Ruben Garcia. Trustees also accepted the resignation of Southdown School special education teacher Jessie Brennan. Art teacher Karen Morea was granted a leave of absence for the 2011/12 school year.
Woodhull School classroom teacher Colleen Mahoney was recalled from the district's preferred eligible list, effective September 1. The position of Huntington High School foreign language teacher Jonathan Hernandez was declared excess, effective July 6.
Trustees appointed Angela Berner as English language arts coordinator, K-6 and Kathleen McCourt as special education coordinator, 9-12. Both appointments are for the 2011/12 school year.
George Austin was appointed school maintenance crew leader, effective August 1. He will replace Al White, who was earlier appointed director of facilities, replacing the retiring Paul Rispoli.
Trustees also took the following actions:
• Appointed Thomas Calderaro (Southdown) and Oscar Bonilla (high school) as full-time custodians and Shameika Hanson (high school) as a part-time custodian. Each of the appointments is effective August 1.
• Post-season pay was authorized for coaches Debra Cheskes, Paul McDermott, Ron Wilson, Eli Acosta, Eric Triolo, Kip Lukralle, Nancy Wilson, Brad Reminick, Jamie Fishlow and Krista Fee.
• Blue Devil marching band staff members were approved.
• Angela Gerardi was approved to provide up to five days of "clerical coverage" in the buildings and grounds department.
• Denise Grodzicki, Matthew Perlongo and Elizabeth Grobe were authorized to provide tutoring for the Integrated Algebra Regents at a rate of pay of $48.97 per hour.
• Teachers Kathleen Aufiero, Joann Ferazi, Bienvenido Franco, Lynn Hendricks, Michael Graziano, Joan Lehnert, Keith Mattis, Kara Martinsen, Amanda Meyer, Doris Quintilian and Monica Racz were approved to score Regents geometry exams for up to 3.5 hours each at a rate of pay of $48.97 per hour.
• Appointed adult education program staff, including Kenneth Card (director), Regina Askerberg (secretary), Anna Naccarato (sub-secretary) and Trudy Somers (sub-secretary).
• Authorized faculty members Giovanni Mendez, Gloria Jaramillo, Jordan Gould, Monica Racz, Michael Schwendemann, Peter Fusco, Rosanne Brienza, Barbara Noble, Matthew Perlongo, Melissa Jasinski, Esmeralda Tello, Kimberly Schiller, Amy Hughes, Marybeth Stahl, Brian Stellato, Phyllis Frank and Lorraine Costello to participate in Differentiated Instruction Summer Institute staff development sessions for two days each at a stipend of $200 per day, respectively. The stipends are funded through Title IIA and IDEA grants.
• Authorized Joseph Leavy, chairperson of humanities, 7-12 and Rae Montesano, chairperson of science and instructional technology, 7-12 to provide up to five days of staff development/training this summer. Mr. Leavy will be paid $554.08 per day and Ms. Montesano will receive $498.64 per day.
• Approved district nurses Marlene McKenna, Connie DeGrassi, Jacqueline Silvers, Katherine Kunze-Khokhar, Martha Ironman and two other nurses to be determined as a later date to provide assistance during sports physicals and re-qualifications. They will be compensated at their hourly contractual rate of pay.
• Authorized Vicki L. Mingin to work up to five days on IEP completion this summer. She will be paid $676 per day, which is funded through the district's special education grant.
• Appointed Angela Berner, Donnamarie O'Shaughnessy, Vivian Joseph, Nancy Giorgos, Glenn Edwards and Erika Sabogal as LEP/ELL Summer Academy instructors and David Crimi, Soraya Triessl, Jennifer Glatzer, Tirsa Oliva, Jennifer Glatzer, Tirsa Oliva and Stephany Ramirez as sub-instructors. The teachers will earn $48.97 per hour. Miryam Palacio was appointed as a teacher aide in the program. She will be paid $19.71 per hour. The program is funded through a title I LEP/ELL grant.
• Authorized Nancy Wilson to provide 16 hours of professional development on the mandate New York State IEP at the rate of $75 per hour for a total of $1,200.
• Appointed Bernadette Walsh and Paul Caleca as coordinators of the district's Title VI Safe & Drug Free peer mediation program. They pair were authorized to work up to 14 hours at a rate of $48.97 per hour, which is funded through a grant.
• Appointed Stephen Henry as physical education and athletics coordinator and Georgia McCarthy as driver's education coordinator for the 2011/12 school year.
• Appointed Marta Smith as a district translator. She will be paid a $3,000 stipend.
• Authorized Joyce Keegan to work up to five days providing district business office support, helping with the transition of staff.
• Approved changes in assignment for food service worker Brenda Thompson and custodians John Pagano, James Greenberg and Jason McDonald. Ms. Thompson will go from working a four-hour shift at J. Taylor Middle School to working 5.5 hours daily at Huntington High School, effective September 1. Mr. Pagano will move from being a high school custodian to being the lead night custodian at the high school. Mr. Greenberg will go from working a four-hour shift at Finley to an eight-hour assignment. Mr. McDonald will move from a night custodian shift at Washington School to working at the high school from Tuesday-Saturday. All of the custodial changes are effective August 1.
• Approved an instructional services agreement with the Little Flower Union Free School District in Wading River for special education services.
• Approved an affiliation agreement between the Huntington School District and the State University of New York related to a nursing course offered to students at Farmingdale State College.
• Authorized teachers Lorena Diaz and Francesca Crobak to receive mileage reimbursement for district related travel.
• Approved "side letters of agreement" between the district and the District School Principal's Assn and the UPSEU Registered Professional Nurses Unit.
• Awarded a request for proposal to Milliman in the amount of $7,500 for an actuarial analysis of the district's Worker's Compensation program.
• Approved an extension of the district's food service contract with Whitsons School Nutrition Corp.
• Approved an extension of the school registration and participation agreement between the district and MSG Varsity television network.
• Awarded bids for printed forms to A to Z Printing ($2,270.75), American Business Forms, Inc. ($2,846) and Printers 3, Inc. ($2,205).
• Approved an e-rate processing service agreement with Integra Consulting and Computer Services, Inc. in the amount of $7,500.
• Authorized the disposal of various pieces of equipment including two FAX machines, flutes, clarinets, tubas, trumpets, CD players, a guitar amplifier and an acoustic guitar.
• Approved a grant disbursement agreement between the Dormitory Authority of the State of New York and the district related to EXCEL (Expanding our Children's Education and Learning) program capital projects at Huntington High School and Jack Abrams School.
• Awarded bids for music supplies to Advantage Music ($3,792.61), Cornet Music ($340.80), Interstate Music ($284.76), Percussion Source ($25.20), Sam Ash Music ($3,171.35), Shar Products Company ($1,648.42), Steve Weiss Music ($1,636.73), Frederick Weiner Music ($3,640.10) and West Music ($296.68).
• Approved an agreement with the American Red Cross for the use of district facilities should a county-wide disaster strike.