Huntington School Board Notes
Huntington School Board members passed a resolution to retain Western Suffolk BOCES for the purpose of assisting in the process of hiring a new superintendent of schools. Trustees set a maximum cost for the services at $17,000.
The contract of current Superintendent John J. Finello expires at the end of June at which time he is expected to retire from the district following a career that began here in Sept. 1972. Mr. Finello graduated from Huntington High School in 1968.
Natalee Rubcewich (Woodhull School, physical education/health) was approved for a probationary teaching appointment. She is eligible for tenure on Sept. 1, 2013. Anthony Pomponio (Southdown, band) and Kathryn Termini (Woodhull, foreign language) were given part-time teaching appointments.
Melissa Munno (Finley, special education), Debra Collins (Flower Hill/Washington, ESL) and Laura Lipow (Woodhull, classroom) were approved as long-term substitute teachers.
Trustees accepted the resignations of teacher assistants Michael Macolino and Stephen Fitts, effective Sept. 1. They each accepted positions in other districts. J. Taylor Finley Middle School special education teacher Carol Emmerman was granted a leave of absence through approximately Jan. 28, 2011.
Flower Hill School special education teacher aide Maria Zimbardi's request to retire was approved, effective Sept. 1. Trustees appointed Claudia Contreras as a four-hour food service worker at Huntington High School.
Trustees also took the following actions:
• Accepted a donation in the amount of $1,000 from the Band Parents' Association for the rental of a scissor lift for use at a summer band camp that was held at J. Taylor Finley Middle School in August.
• Approved a consultant services contract with Island Better Hearing and Optical Center for audiological services for students at various rates as per the respective service provided.
• Appointed Patricia Quinn as a driver education program instructor at a rate of $46.74 per hour.
• Approved a consultant services contract with the Institute for Children with Autism for staff and parent training, curriculum development and ancillary support in addition to ongoing classroom consultation at a rate of $120 per hour.
• Approved changes in assignment for food service worker Mirza Cordero, teacher aide Jacquelyn Smith and custodians Gary Clasen, Felix Feliciano, Ruben Garcia and William Nitzel.
• Approved a consultant services contract with Millenium Speech Pathology Services for speech services at a rate of $40 per one-half hour.
• Approved Ignatius Asaro, Michael Byrnes, Shari Campbell, Krystle Canino, Maria Canino, Rose Canino, Steven Davis, Anthony Jimenez, Carol McGovern, Melissa Mock, John Mohlenhoff, Hugh Norton, Tara Reminick and David Wilson to work as athletic event supervisors at a rate of $31.70 per hour.
• Approved a consultant services contract with Dr. Frantz Moise for psychiatric evaluations at a rate of $800 per evaluation.
• Approved employees Jane DeMarco, Joanne Grofik, Kitty Klein-Rabinovich, Rae Montesano and Marybeth Robinette to received reimbursement for district related travel between buildings.
• Authorized budget transfers from one account code to another to pay for costs associated with AP Economics textbooks at Huntington High School ($960) and a breakfast on superintendent's conference day ($2,850).
• Approved a consultant services contract with Avatar Consulting Innovations for counseling support services at a rate of $80 per hour.
• Approved a consultant services agreement with Nassau-Suffolk Services for Autism – The Martin C. Barell School for in-home teaching and behavioral support at a rate of $75 per hour.
• Approved a consultant services contract with the Child Center for Developmental Services, Inc. neuro-developmental pediatric evaluations with a respective report as a rate of $600 per evaluation.
• Approved a consultation services contract with Dr. Keith Harris for psychiatric evaluations at a rate of $750 per evaluation.
• Approved a consultant services contract with Dr. Nirmala Mitra for neurological evaluations of students at a rate of $325 per evaluation.
• Approved a consultant services contract with Professionals for Learning for parent consultation and training at a rate of $85 per hour.
• Approved salary schedule changes for 13 teachers who completed graduate level coursework.
• Approved a special education services contract with the Oyster Bay-East Norwich Central School District for two Huntington School District school age children attending classes in Oyster Bay-East Norwich.
• Approved a consultant services contract with Dr. Howard Reiser for neurological evaluations at the rate of $250 per evaluation.
• Approved a consultant services contract with Dr. Barbara Allis for neurological evaluations and related services at a rate of $300 per hour.
• Approved a consultant services contract with ALTA-Accessible Learning Technologies Alternatives for assistive technology evaluations and related services, professional development and consultation services at various rates of compensation based upon the respective service provided.
• Approved a special education services contract with the Andersen Center for Autism in Stasstburg, New York for a Huntington School District child enrolled there.