Huntington School Board Notes
During their August 9 meeting, Huntington School Board members accepted the resignations of teachers Casey Horowitz (Huntington High School, guidance), Sarah Holder (Southdown School, special education), James Creighton (high school, physical education) and Stephon Sair (Woodhull School, physical education) and Southdown School teacher aide Tanya Roberts.
Monica McReynolds, a J. Taylor Finley Middle School teacher aide, was approved to return from a leave of absence. Woodhull School special education teacher Mary Bly’s retirement date was changed to October 29.
Trustees approved full-time teaching appointments for Jaclyn Ambrosio (Finley, home and careers skills), Joan Castles (high school, special education), Gene Acevedo (high school, social studies), Kathryn Joseph (Southdown, classroom) and Conrad Dierking (Woodhull, classroom). Part-time teaching appointments were given to Jonathan Hernandez (Finley, Spanish) and Kim Valerio (high school/Finley/Southdown, art).
Trustees also took the following actions:
- Approved a consultant services contract with Dr. David Weissberg, who will provide medical services at football games during the 2010/11 school year. He will be paid $200 per game.
- Approved a consultant services contract with South Oaks Hospital’s Career & Educational Counseling Center for a range of possible services for varying fees.
- Approved a consultant services contract with MAXIM Staffing Solutions for per diem substitute nurse services on an as-needed basis.
- Appointed Rita Carino as chief inspector of elections for the capital reserve fund referendum scheduled for August 24.
- Approved a bank of monies amounting to $600 to be used as start-up cash for the new school year’s lunch program.
- Authorized the disposal of 20 copies of a Houghton Mifflin 1987 edition math textbook, 130 copies of an Addison Wesley 1993 edition math textbook and an IBM Wheelwriter 6 typewriter.
- Approved the addition of teacher Theresa Duffy to the list of employees authorized to receive mile reimbursement for job related travel between buildings.
- Approved long-term substitute teacher appointments for Devin Aurichhio (high school, art), Pamela Jacovina (Woodhull, music), Stephanie Fazio (high school, special education), Lauren Baglivi (high school, guidance), Ashley Williams (Southdown, special education), Kathryn Sequino (Washington, speech), Jacqueline Leonard (Flower Hill, speech), Lisa Karasik (Washington, special education), Marissa Damiano (Jefferson, classroom) and Kristin Kopf (Flower Hill, classroom).
- Approved teachers Keith Meyers and Allison VonVange to serve as advisors for the sixth grade field trip the outdoor education center at Camp Greenkill.
- Rescinded a leave of absence previously approved for Scott Armyn from his elementary classroom teaching position.
- Approved the recall from the district’s preferred eligibility list of teachers Joan Castle, Gene Acevedo, Kathryn Joseph and Conrad Dierking.
- Adjusted the probationary period of math teacher Amanda Meyer. It will now run to September 1, 2011 as a result of her being given Jarema credit since she was previously tenured in another district in the state.
- Approved the non-contractual appointment of Dana Schlaikjer as the district’s audio-visual technician. He will be paid $45 per hour when his services are needed.